This morning I woke up with a deep desire to indulge in a steaming hot sweet and sour pudding; fortunately I knew just what to bake – my mother’s beloved vinegar pudding. This hot pudding is literally fuming with vinegar, but that’s alright because the sugar and vanilla will complement it wonderfully.
Ingredients: For the pudding/cake
- 2 Large eggs
- A large lump of butter at room temperature
- 1 Cup of white sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and a half cups milk
- 1 and a half cups white cake flour
For the sour sauce
- 1 Lump melted butter
- 1 Cup of water
- 1 Cup of white vinegar
- 1 and a half cups of white sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Grease a heat resistant dish with any good spray and cook/bake product – you want a good sized dish of about 25 cm circumference and 10 cm depth, because the pudding does rise.
- Add the water, sugar, vinegar and melted butter together to make your sour sauce and beat it well then pour it into your greased dish.
- Beat the eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt together till a pale creamy texture is formed.
- Add the baking powder, milk and flour to the creamy mixture and beat it all together to form a decadently voluptuous batter.
- Spoon the batter into the greased dish with the sour sauce, do not mix it, just add it.
- Place the dish into the oven and let it bake for a good 40 minutes.
Please note: The center of the pudding will sag upon removal from the oven.
Hope you enjoy your pudding.